View Single Post
Old 05-20-2017, 05:09 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: would this cage work??

Ah I see the problem! There are other members on here from Ireland (North and South) and I think there have been similar delivery issues.

Ok so sounds like it's narrowed down to a smaller cage to start with - or a detolf

This is Erin's Hamster's video on how to make a lid. (Two lids). It could be easy - if you get the hardware store to cut the strips of wood and the mesh to the size you want - then you just need a few of those corner brackets and a stapler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYzDeSBE1hI

You could get one of these to stand it on. Although it adds another £30 to the price.

KALLAX Shelving unit White 42x147 cm - IKEA

But - as it's Sunday tomorrow then it sounds like the other option is going to be better if you're getting the hammy on Monday.

As for how long to leave the hamster before upgrading to the bigger cage - others may advise on that. I'd say at least 3 weeks. Then when moving the hammy to the bigger cage, set it up first and let the hammy play in it a couple of days before moving them in, then play in it again the day before moving them in. Then when you do move them over (you can pop the hammy in the little dwarf cage while you do the changeover) - move ALL the bedding over into the Barney. The Barney is bigger, so fill it with bedding, then sprinkle the old bedding from the other cage on top. Don't clean anything. Move everything from the cage into the Barney cage, as it is and try and keep things in a similar layout. It helps them settle.

I looked online and Pets at Home in Belfast have the Hamster Heaven in stock. So you could get that possibly and cancel the Barney (the Hamster Heaven costs more). Or get something like the pets at home Wire cage in the large size (it's approx 60cm by 40cm which is quite small even for a holiday cage).

You'll need a bigger wheel as well. The cages only come with 6" wheels and that's too small even for a baby syrian. You'd need at least an 8" wheel. The Barney does come with a basic 8" wheel which would do at first and you could attach it inside the pets at home cage when the Barney comes.

Unless you go for the hamster heaven then you'd need to buy a wheel as well and might as well go for an 11" wheel (it's a good size for Syrians).
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote