Thread: Fungus???
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2017, 04:15 PM  
Drago
The Hamtologist

Default Re: Fungus???

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityvilleHams View Post
I think there are many overreactions that come when any creature is unfortunate enough to be capable of spreading some illness regardless of rarity.This has been seen many times whether it be reptiles spreading salmonella(not an issue with proper hygiene and common sense!),rat bite fever(extremely rare,essentially not even an issue),species appropriate raw feeding of dogs being incredibly dangerous(again not an issue just like reptile keeping with common sense),etc.

There's definitely more to pathogenic diseases than just proper hygeine in my opinion. For example, having owned numerous reptiles for years, I can tell you that salmonella is somewhat more common than many reptile owners may think, but it's also much less of an issue than your average person would. Animals coming from mass breeding facilities (which is where a majority of your reptiles are from, lest you buy in person, directly from a breeder) come in contact with feces and bodily fluids of affected animals often, and the unknowing owner winds up with a sick animal. Then, all it can take is a bit of feces getting on one's hand while cleaning or simply touching the animal and having a slight open sore or cut on the hand. Salmonella also can infect you if there are even just traces of bacteria on your hands and you consume them, it's also able to infect you if inhaled (though of course the bacteria must first become airborne). Though yes it's rare, it's not so rare that somebody should say it's "not an issue". This is partly why so many people become misguided, because it is overdramatized, but it should also be respected and your new reptile should be taken to a vet for your health and theirs if they're not from a trustworthy breeder.

I don't mean this to sound rude or harsh, as in the case of rat bite fever and dogs on raw diets, it's true. However, I get pretty passionate when people discuss salmonella in reptiles and either over exaggerate or just brush it off as it being little to no issue.

All in all though, Hamsterita and Crystalroborovski, I wouldn't worry yourselves over this. It's pretty rare and with good hygeine, is almost no issue

Last edited by Drago; 05-11-2017 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Typos
Drago is offline   Reply With Quote