View Single Post
Old 05-11-2017, 07:23 AM  
Drago
The Hamtologist

Default Re: Traveling with Wasabi couldn't get any more confusing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoMintAnswersSincere View Post
I have another problem. Wasabi has started kicking bedding in her bowl once she has finished her food. It's like she's saying, "Mom! I'm done! Come feed me! Mom?! I'm hungry!" and when I don't give her more food she sits in her bowl and waits. I give her 2 1/2 tablespoons of food at around 7 am and she finishes her food at about 11 pm so she runs on her wheel, chews her chews, and sleeps in her food bowl. During the day she sleeps in her hut after pouching some food. Is this normal?
Most burrowing rodents tend to bury their bowls after (or even while) eating so this isn't a concern. Bowls aren't super necessary either so you don't need to pull or dump bedding out if you don't want to. 2.5 tbsp is a lot for a Syrian to have every day. On average, your hamster will only eat 1 tablespoon every 24-48 hours so anything more isn't necessary. Giving in to her begging will only teach her to beg more, it's a vicious cycle, but it can be broken by showing some tough love and ignoring her when she does that. It's completely normal for her to pouch her food then sleep. Just as it's normal that she chews on her toys and runs about in her wheel, I'd say all her behavior sounds perfectly normal
Drago is offline   Reply With Quote