View Single Post
Old 05-03-2017, 08:16 AM  
Jeir
Hamster Pup

Default Re: KarlieWonderland Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsgurl View Post
I don't know if anyone else has ordered any lately but they appear to have changed the design slightly, and the running surface now has a cork covering.
I made a thread about it a few days ago. =P

Anyway, I've used the old runged version, and have the new cork version. No issues, and I've had Robos, hybrids, and Syrians using the runged ones.

Pros:
- Silent. So far, only the P@H silent plastic wheel has been as quiet, but it's only suitable for dwarfs.
- Looks nice. Silent Runner is hideous and pretty much the only reason I wont get it. =/ But, I have other options, so no problem.
- Light enough for even a 20g Robo to run in.
- Cheap. On Zooplus, anyway. Amazon's 2-3x more expensive.
- Sturdy. Has a nice solid base and I suspect even larger hamsters (220g+) could use it.

Cons:
- Needs sandpapering. Might be splinters, and I tend to sand down all the edges just so there's nothing 'sharp' that may hurt a hamster.
- Really needs water-proofing. Plastikote is best, but any non-toxic, child-safe water proofer should be okay.
- Can't hang it from the cage roof (/side? lol) due to solid base of it. Less digging room.
- Rare but potential issue: Hamster claws may get trapped in the edges of the rungs. I've never had any issues, as I said, but I tended to put a thick layer of Plastikote on (well, 3-5 thin layers), so that probably filled in any/all gaps. If available, get the cork version.
Jeir is online now   Reply With Quote