Thread: Taming tips?
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2017, 10:38 AM  
dreamtree1234
The Cuddler of Cuteness

Default Re: Taming tips?

HamsterCrazy1, congrats on getting your Syrian! By the way, what is your hammy's name?

Although, I am sorry he has bitten you a few times already. Unfortunately from my experience where I live, hammies from pet stores tend to not be handled frequently which makes them tend to be more skittish and take a slightly longer time to tame. As far as taming is concerned, I will definitely suggest taking things slow after a period of settling in and letting your hammy decide when to proceed with each and every step. Note that sometimes after progressing, hammies may regress a step or two at times. This is not to be disheartened by though as it is common at times depending on the confidence level and personality of your particular hamster. I would make sure that you have plenty of substrate in your hammy's home and provide many hiding areas as possible to make your hamster feel more secure and content in his home. I would also speak to him in a soft and calming voice as often as possible (even if your hamster isn't out and about from his nest) so he can become accustomed to hearing your voice. I would use the tissue trick for several days. Basically, you place an unscented tissue in your sleeve for several hours so it will acquire your scent. Then you place it into your hammy's home so they can come to realize that your scent is nonthreatening and become familiar with it on a regular basis. I would also slowly place my hand in the hamster's home a few times a day to offer it treats. If your hamster doesn't eat directly from your hand, just place it next to him and remove your hand gently with soothing words of reassurance. When it is time to take your hamster out of the cage, if it is showing any signs of fear, uncertainty, or unwillingness, I would use a container or tube for it to climb into voluntarily. I would do this a few times to let you hammy gain extra confidence in being lifted out of the cage/bin. After that goes well for a few times, I would then try to use my hand to lift my hammy out of his home. I would also try to place him in a secure and hamster proof area such as a bathtub lined with a towel or a playpen to run and explore with many hiding places and me interacting with him.

As I stated previously, please do realize that each step should be taken slowly and progress to the next only when he is ready. Good luck with the taming process, and I look forward to hearing any updates that you can post whenever you have a chance.

"...she fell into a deep sleep, and dreamed the dreams of the dreamtree." ~Stephen Cosgrove
Mum to Duchess. Fur Angels Eros007, Arwen, Hinata & Snickers 4Ever.
dreamtree1234 is offline   Reply With Quote