Thread: is this safe?
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2017, 11:46 AM  
chi0
Hamster Pup

Default Re: is this safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityvilleHams View Post
Actually I'd say they're unsafe Mineral chews are really not a good idea for the majority of animals to begin with,especially hamsters,and can cause serious health problems as you're adding unnecessary minerals into the diet and this can cause a very serious dietary imbalance.Not only is that part unsafe,but there's also a tiny bell which is not a safe style for any animal(bells are also inappropriate for hamsters,as the noise can be very irritating to them).The hanging style would be very risky and from the photo alone I can see at least one potential place for injury.

As for pumice,that would be unsafe as well.It's a lot harder than some chews and could cause problems,plus it probably isn't the most digestible material unlike Whimzees or high quality dog biscuits(with no unsafe preservatives no matter how labelled including E&C approved antioxidants and such,no digest/derivatives/meat of any sort and bone meal/unspecified liver/etc,no artificial ingredients,etc).
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisJones View Post
I wouldnt for the reasons above, plus its from China so you wont know for certain what materials were used or where it was manufactured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityvilleHams View Post
That's an excellent point about Chinese products!I know they're terrible for dog and cat products,so I'd assume they'd be just as awful with other pet items due to their lack of appropriate regulation if any regulation at all

oh gosh, thank you all for the replies! i had my doubts on their safety, but figured there would be no harm in asking- now i'm especially glad i did! i will definitely not be buying them. thank you all again!