View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 03:40 PM  
Jennie F
Adult Hamster

Default Re: Chewers in a detolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacebyte View Post
Luna is a huge chewer and chewed a big hole in her Alaska! She has been in the Detolf for many months now.

There's a hole in the Detolf for a lightbulb- this comes with a cap to cover it. This was an area of curiosity and chewing for her, but I put her wheel in front of it and now she can't get to it. (Her wheel is a 29cm one, and it needs to be put on the floor without substrate, but this seems to be okay at this one end of the cage. She can run freely on it, but I don't think it would be possible to fit anything even a cm bigger)

Her substrate is thick and she doesn't seem to notice the ground level bars even though she loves to dig. I did have some trouble with her climbing into her sputnik and chewing the higher internal bars and the lid of the cage- the sputnik is now on ground level, I was scared about her leaning out so far and falling.

I haven't noticed any chewing marks on the wooden ends of the cage. I make sure she has a lot of cardboard and whimzees (She doesn't seem to go for wood chews?) to keep her teeth down. I am also a full time student and I found making the lid was semi expensive. I went to my parents house while they were abroad to use their tools, my boyfriend helped with the wood cutting, but getting the wood and mesh was expensive in B&Q, and they would not cut the wood to size. If you have time to plan for this (We didn't, due to the hole in the Alaska!) shop about for that stuff, ordering online might be cheaper especially for mesh which was ridiculously pricey!
Thanks for your reply. Its good to know another former chewer gets on ok in a detolf. I will start looking around for mesh next week. Hopefully I can get the detolf next week too and get measurements to go and get the wood