View Single Post
Old 04-18-2017, 07:56 AM  
climber008
Adult Hamster

Default Sensitive Stomach AND a Picky Eater

Hello everyone!

I posted a thread on Kilian's sensitive stomach a while ago, but I wanted to repost this thread since there have been some changes.

I know that my current diet for Kilian is not the best diet for him; however, Kilian's stomach has been so sensitive that I get concerned to change his food in case of soft poo.

Kilian has had a sensitive stomach from the time that we got him, and I have a feeling that it is due to his genetics. I don't think he has the best genetic make-up, and I know that this has affected his stomach greatly.

Even now, when I don't change ANYTHING in his diet, Kilian still will have occasional bouts of "soft poo" every other week or so. His poo is not diarrhea. It is just softer than a normal poo pellet and it will occasionally smear when he drags his bum behind him. This doesn't seem healthy, but he doesn't have anything that can be treated by a vet. Just food sensitivity. He normally has regular poo, but every other week he will have a day with soft poo.

I believe the last time I asked about this, someone suggested feeding him a probiotic; however, this has been impossible for me to find. The only probiotic suitable for hams had to be ordered online, and I currently can not order anything with a credit/debit card.

I stopped feeding him fresh veggies, tofu, chicken, etc. in hopes that his stomach could regulate before I began feeding this to him again; yet, he still has occasional bouts of soft poo. I'd like to begin feeding him these things, as this has been happening on and off since his adoption day. (December 17th) I haven't fed him any "human food" for over two months now, and his fur length is not as long as it used to be. (Kilian is a long-haired Syrian for those who don't know.)

Here is a current list of foods I feed him:

Mealworms

Vitakraft Vitsmart Hamster

Oxbow Essentials

LM Farms Mouse and Rat Lab Blocks

Whimzees as a Treat

These are all the foods that I feed him, although I have begun to start to feed him only the sunflower seeds from this mix:

Publix Brand (But ONLY the sunflower seeds in here!)

I'm not sure if this is a good diet to continue him on, but I'm not sure what else to feed him. Some of the foods are not necessarily the best, anyways like the Oxbow or Vitakraft. However, we don't have many options of hamster food where I live. These are the only foods that he can eat that doesn't have fruit or something bad for him. (Like tomatoes or leeks.) Kilian is also starting to become picky, which limits his food intake as well. He seems to only want to eat mealworms, corn pieces from the Vitakraft, his Whimzee treat, and sunflower seeds. He'll also eat his LM Farms lab blocks once everything he likes is gone, but I want him to be able to eat other things then just treats and corn flakes. I have been picking out the corn pieces from his food so he can maybe eat other things, but I am afraid that he might lose some weight if I do this.

Please, any suggestions on his sensitivity, diet, or anything else?

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by climber008; 04-18-2017 at 08:03 AM.
climber008 is offline   Reply With Quote