View Single Post
Old 04-18-2017, 04:14 AM  
DennisJones
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Dennis-Sama's Habitat, A work in progress.

Ok, quick update on Dennis-Sama`s habitat.

I have completed(ish)* the lid by putting metal braces on the inside as it was a bit wobbly, stapled some mesh to the hole (the sharp ends sit on top of the walls so he cant get to them) and put hinges along the back.

Sadly, these materials I had to buy as I had run out of metal braces, and the hinges I had in my box were too big. The mesh I also bought.

Total cost of the build so far is £10.51.

Next stage is to replace this wall with perspex so we can see inside his habitat from the side. I have ordered 2 A3 sheets of 3mm Perspex and will cement these together along the shortest edge. This will be exactly long enough to cover that wall. I will then drill holes along the outside and then screw this to the wall with some wooden bead on the outside, in a sandwich fashion as described in the sketch below.

I will probably make that shelf narrower too as he literally spends his whole time under there and rarely uses the upper level except to get food. Hopefully this will entice him out to use the rest of his habitat.

*I also want to put a retaining chain on the lid so it is held open when tilted back past 90 degrees, or maybe a prop like you get on a car bonnet, but that could e knocked bringing the lid crashing down.....

Thoughts?

I am a complete newcomer to this, and these are only my own thoughts and opinions. I will take advice as should you from the more experienced members who will no doubt be around soon!

Last edited by DennisJones; 04-18-2017 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Typo`s etc...
DennisJones is offline   Reply With Quote