View Single Post
Old 04-11-2017, 10:11 PM  
cypher
Dwarf whisperer

Default Re: Is all of this stuff okay for my Russian?

What country are you in?
If you're in the UK a bag of Burgess dwarf hamster harvest food doesn't cost much at all so it would be well worth getting your ham some.
It is important with Russian hybrids to feed the right mix & to be careful with extras due to them being prone to diabetes.
I wouldn't use peanut butter at all, most hams don't like so called chew toys tbh, as Amity says whimzees/antos dog chews are a far better option, you can also give dog biscuits, biscrok are safe & commonly used. You can also give sunflower seeds (always in the shell & not too many) pumpkin seeds again in the shell & only in moderation & monkey nuts (peanuts in the shell, nothing added) make a tiny hole in each end of these & give no more than one a week, these will help to keep teeth trim as well as being healthy treats, with a proper mix the teeth will get some wear anyway so chew toys aren't essential.
Definitely no honey or shop bought treats with honey or sugar either.
Walnuts are loved by all my hams too but a small piece one or twice a week is plenty.
Meal worms are a huge favourite & even if your mix has them you can give one or two a day extra although I wouldn't give more than that.
Cabbage is ok occasionally but not too often, carrot is a bit high in natural sugars & should only be a rare treat.
You need to give a wide variety of veg, something different most days so rotate a few of the safe veg.
This is a list of veg you can give.
Safe veg, those marked * are relatively high in sugar so only feed to diabetes prone species as an occasional treat if at all.
Asparagus
Basil
Broccoli
Brussels sprouts
Common or red clover
Cabbage, green or red
Carrot*
Cauliflower
Celery
Chard
Coriander
Courgette
Cress (not mustard & cress as commonly sold together)
Cucumber
Dandelion leaves & flowers
Endive/chicory
Green beans/runner beans
Kale
Pak choi/Bok choi
Parsley
Peas/mange tout/sugar snap/snow*
Peppers, any colour
Potato/sweet potato cooked only*
Radicchio
Spinach
Squash/pumpkin*
Swede
Sweet corn/baby corn*
Turnip
❤️

Last edited by cypher; 04-11-2017 at 10:33 PM.
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote