View Single Post
Old 04-09-2017, 03:26 PM  
Jennie F
Adult Hamster

Default Re: My hamster is really hyper

My mini monster is about 4 months old and she is a bundle of doom and energy. I let her out at least 6 times a night, switching between bonding time playing with me, to playing in the ball for 10-15 mins or going in the playpen. She will go back in her cage each time for 10-15 minute breaks then comes out to terrorise the world again. I hold the ball up to the front of the cage and she will run to climb in, as now she associates it with feeedom. What realy worked for me in the taming process was holding my hand in front of the open ball so she could climb out and crawl on me. Have the ball ready at all times so if she goes the wrong way just put the ball in front of her and she should climb back in. Then repeat. Eventually I stopped using the ball to redirect her and now I just put my hand out and she climbs on. Its just about patience and getting her used to you by interacting everyday. Little and often. I try to tucker her out as much as possible before I go to bed and give her toilet roll tubes to entertain her mouth while i am asleep. My friends with pets often tell me i "break" their pets - as in i play with them that much that I raise the bar for playtime and then they wont stop haha. So I am trying to work out if I have created my monster or we are just well matched haha.

Have a read through taming threads on here as there are some really good ideas. But the key is patience and practice. Good luck and let us know how you get on