Thread: Baby Dakota
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2017, 07:38 AM  
chesca_27
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Baby Dakota

Why don't you have a nap a bit earlier, then wake up to be with the hamsters.

Just take taming slow, you will get there. Russians do grow out of nipping. Jasper had a phase of nipping in the summer, he started once I got back from holiday. I think it was a combination of stress and being away from me. He did grow out of it after a few weeks. Whenever he nipped me, I was just hold him for a bit longer, then put him back, so he wouldn't associate nipping with anything other than no treats.

Most hamsters will be territorial in their cage, so find a way to transport Dakota out and put her in a taming bin or something. Leave it quite basic and just hand feed treats from there and work through the taming process. I found an old ice-cream tub with a bit of bedding worked well with Jasper.

They may be bitier in the day because they are crepuscular, meaning they are most active at dawn and dusk. They probably just want their food and then to go back to bed.