View Single Post
Old 03-30-2017, 04:48 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Wodent wheel or Silent Runner

Silent Runner. It's easier to clean, take apart and use. It's silent. It spins much better. It's much safer and no places to get trapped and no spindle.

Having said that wodent wheels are very good but I reckon only if they're hung upside down or they're a pain. I've had the largest size (Wobust) and the Silent Runner knocks spots off it.

The Silent runner has a one-piece sturdy solid metal stand. Nowhere for hammies to get stuck between wheel and stand (not very likely but our hammy did get his leg stuck once in his wobust wheel). That's one of the reasons I find it much safer, more sturdy so not going to move or fall over and a better height so there's room for some substrate underneath it. Having said that, it is only safe if it's put together properly! The instructions aren't that clear - there should be no gap at either side of the joining strip - the front and back pieces need to be pressed firmly on to avoid that, but once you've done it once it's a piece of cake.

Also if you wanted the wheel mounted to bars the Silent Runner is much much better - but costs more - the mounting plates cost an extra £5 or so but then you can put the wheel anywhere in the cage at whatever height you want. So I had our wheel so it was only just 1cm from the top of the cage (meaning a hamster couldn't fall onto it) and leaving a good 10 to 12cm underneath it for substrate. The wodent wheels can be attached to the bars but only in either a corner or on a roof top where there is no door to foul up the stand. They do work much better hung from the roof though and no slipping about.

Although the Silent runner is a good 3cm bigger than the senior wodent wheel, it doesn't seem too big because it's not massively deep like the Wobust wheel. It's 9cm deep. The wodent wheel is 7cm deep so more compact, but might not be deep enough for a larger hamster. I didn't like the idea of fur rubbing against the sides of a wheel if it wasn't deep enough. The Silent Runner is also quite compact depthwise just taller. Plus it's silent Really silent! It spins really easily and is a bit lighter weight I think, despite being bigger, but not flimsy either.

Last edited by Pebbles82; 03-30-2017 at 05:02 AM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote