Old 03-29-2017, 07:12 AM  
Drago
The Hamtologist

Default Re: 2 hamsters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsterbelgium003 View Post
Hello !!
THANK YOU ALL FOR ANSWERING!
I already did a lot of research before I posted that...
I think i'm going to play it safe and I will not breed, I also really don't want to sell the pups they will be to cute.
I want to do the same-sex pair but why would it be cruel if they fall out and I install a shelf?
I'm a bit blurry in the head today so it could be me (bare with me lol), but I'm not sure exactly what you mean by it being "cruel if they fall out and I want to install a shelf" I assume you are asking why it would be cruel if they fell out as well as it being cruel to add a shelf. The reason it isn't the best choice to house hamsters together is due to the fact that they're very solitary little creatures naturally and in the wild would only form same sex pairs for the purposes of breeding. Therefore, most pairs become territorial and aggressive over one thing or another and will eventually fall out. Some are lucky enough to catch this as of right before it happens, but a majority of owners (most who don't understand hamster care or behavior) do not catch it until it's too late and they come home to find one dead and another severely wounded hamster. Thus, it's not the best choice to risk your hamster's safety and mental well-being to keep two together. The reason the shelf isn't good is because pairs can become territorial over the different sections (the same as with modular cages) and territorial issues inevitably lead to fights and leads me back to the point I made before. All in all it's your choice, but make sure you research, research, and research before diving into this! You must also make sure to have back up cages or a divider so they can be separated if it comes to that. I wish you the best
Drago is offline   Reply With Quote