View Single Post
Old 03-26-2017, 10:44 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Is my hamster dying.. What do I do?

I think, as Coco has said, your extremely old hammy is at the end of his life. I'm so sorry, I know how hard it is, as ours died recently. And I know exactly how you feel when you say you don't know what to do. I waited thinking ours would pass, and he didn't - for days and in the end we took him to the vets to be helped on his way. But Coco's advice is good, to leave him in his nest with food and cucumber nearby so he can have some if he wants, but it sounds like he may be too unwell to want to eat or drink.

Sometimes when they are ready to go they will leave the nest and go somewhere else in the cage as if choosing a place to die. I'm not sure if I understood your message right about the nest, but he may have done this. Keep him warm and comfortable and peaceful, but if he squeaks in pain without you even touching him, it might be kinder to take him to the vets to be helped on his way. You can ask them for a gas anaesthetic first so he is asleep and doesn't feel anything.

I had our Hammy lying on my chest under my bodywarmer, night after night, thinking he was about to go and then he would come round again and perk up and want to eat something. But he didn't go and then he had a prolapse and I decided he needed help. If you feel he is really suffering, then you might need to think about helping him on is way, and as others said to me, you will know if the time is right for that. I do hope his ending is peaceful either way. You can also talk to him gently which will soothe him. And sometimes you can tell them it's ok to go as they hang on for you sometimes. Big hugs.

I wouldn't worry about the cotton bedding or diet right now - he is too poorly for it to matter.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote