View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 03:45 AM  
Drago
The Hamtologist

Default Re: a mom and a daughter gave birth!

It's good to hear both mothers handled the birthing process well. As cypher said, breeding hamsters is a huge undertaking and really must only be done by professionals and those who are highly knowledgeable/well prepared. Who impregnated the daughter? Are your hams seperated by sex or are they allowed to roam about together? It's always just been a personal opinion of mine that you should own whichever animal you wish to breed for a bare minimum of several months or so before even considering breeding them! I've owned betta fish my entire life and even after that fact, it took me years of research, apprenticeship, and preparing before I began to breed. You really do need to have extensive knowledge in genetics and coloration with your animal if you wish to breed. I would recommend just keeping the lot you have and wait a couple of years before deciding whether or not breeding is right for you

As cypher said, you should leave the family alone for the first few weeks otherwise you risk the mother becoming overly stressed out and cannabalizing her young I would check out all the breeding threads as that section is a huge archive of knowledge and reading it can really help. I'd also recommend contacting an experienced breeder with questions on raising a litter as well as sexing/separation and perhaps after a couple years of being mentored, you could revisit the idea of breeding! I wish you the best of luck
Drago is offline   Reply With Quote