View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 03:31 PM  
snow pony
Hamster Pup

Default Re: How to tell if a hamster is deaf?

Quote:
Is he tame yet?
If he's still a bit nervous making sounds like clicking your fingers could cause him to freeze & appear not to have heard anything, ears down is usually a sign of being nervous or afraid too, unless they are unwell when the ears might be down.
Does he react to you normally otherwise, if you hold a treat for him does he respond & are his ears up?
It can be very hard to tell for sure if a ham is deaf but if they are then you just have to take extra care not to startle them, they will still pick up vibrations so will sense you rustling substrate for example so you can do that, avoid approaching from above or behind where they can't see you coming.
Quote:
I would just give it time and you will probably find out. I think sometimes they can be "selectively deaf" lol (ie ignore you). And as Cypher says if they feel scared they freeze.

If he mostly has his ears down then he is maybe quite scared and a bit nervous at the moment. It might be better to leave him alone for a few days, hide a couple of tasty treats in his cage to distract him and perk him up and then start with taming gradually.
I think both of you may have been right that he was nervous. After I posted this thread he's been responding to noise and having his ears up more. (I think he knew I was onto him... ) Hopefully though this will mean he'll be fine. Thank you for your help.

snow pony is offline   Reply With Quote