Thread: Bloated syrian
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2017, 02:07 AM  
Sarahbean
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Bloated syrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
Well she's definitely a girl I'll leave that one to Souffle - it's hard to tell from that angle. Her cage does look rather small for a Syrian though - I know it's hard to find good cages in Canada - I think a lot of people make bin cages or get glass tanks when Petco have their dollar a gallon sale. A 40 gallon breeder tank is a popular size (about 3 foot long by 1'6" deep). They also need a wheel that is 10 to 12 inch diameter really (can't tell how big the wheel is). Although if she is just a baby an 8" one would be fine for now. I'm guessing it's either a 6.5" or 12" silent spinner in there - can't tell lol.

To me - I can't see any major bloating. What diet is she having? She looks quite big for 6 weeks old! But then she is stretched out. They can keep growing up to 8 weeks old or even longer. If her tummy feels a bit bloated to you though - it looks like she has pine shavings for bedding. Do check they are kiln dried and dust extracted as otherwise they can cause health issues.
She's in a small store bought cage attached to a bin cage but I do plan on making her a larger bin cage as she gets bigger. She has the medium sized silent spinner (not sure how many inches that is but she's the perfect size for it now) she is very big for her age haha her mom was ginormous so I will be needing to upgrade to an 11 inch soon as well.
Also she's on aspen in the cage pictured and carefresh/clean and cozy mixed in her bin cage.
I'll never ever buy pine or cedar shavings :P

And for the food, again it's a mixture of two food mixes but I don't quite remember what two brands it was. Also along with the mix I put a few Livingworld pellets in every time I refill it. For treats she gets a few small servings of fresh veggies a week and I'll put one of those treat sticks in her cage for about an hour at a time (if I put it in for too long it would probably be all she ate haha)

Since it's so hard to tell how much a hamster really eats with them hoarding so much food, I'll have to find a good way to monitor her eating... any tips?
Sarahbean is offline   Reply With Quote