Thread: Bloated syrian
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2017, 01:51 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Bloated syrian

Well she's definitely a girl I'll leave that one to Souffle - it's hard to tell from that angle. Her cage does look rather small for a Syrian though - I know it's hard to find good cages in Canada - I think a lot of people make bin cages or get glass tanks when Petco have their dollar a gallon sale. A 40 gallon breeder tank is a popular size (about 3 foot long by 1'6" deep). They also need a wheel that is 10 to 12 inch diameter really (can't tell how big the wheel is). Although if she is just a baby an 8" one would be fine for now. I'm guessing it's either a 6.5" or 12" silent spinner in there - can't tell lol.

To me - I can't see any major bloating. What diet is she having? She looks quite big for 6 weeks old! But then she is stretched out. They can keep growing up to 8 weeks old or even longer. If her tummy feels a bit bloated to you though - it looks like she has pine shavings for bedding. Do check they are kiln dried and dust extracted as otherwise they can cause health issues.

I think you can get Boxo in Canada (although it ships from the US) which works out cheap as it's sold in big bags. It's soft cardboard flakes I think. Kaytee Clean n Cozy is also a popular one. (Paper cellulose based I think).

For nesting material just make sure she has a nice big pile of torn up plain white toilet paper to build a cosy nest with. It's the safest nesting material as they pouch nesting material and take it to their nest. I tear a sheet of toilet paper lengthways into about 5 or 6 strips. Do that a few times and put a big mound of it in the cage somewhere.

Last edited by Pebbles82; 03-18-2017 at 01:57 AM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote