Thread: green wood?
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2017, 03:07 AM  
Hamsterita
La loca de los hamsters

Default Re: green wood?

I don't know about the safety of using it if it's still green, but I know a little bit about sterilising things.... A lot of bugs are sensitive to temperatures above 60 degrees for periods of time around 30 min. To be on the safe side, I baked all my wood items at 100 degrees for 30 min, and I didn't have problems.Obviously, each item is different, so you should test a little piece first, but I successfully baked, without any problems, different wood and grass items (as bendy bridges, willow tunnels, wooden houses and even an Ikea Knuff).

If you don't have an oven, you could use a microwave, I think that a microwave should be better than an oven, but I find rather difficult to control the temperature in the microwave. For example, I had sterilized a rock on the oven with the method mentioned above without problems, but a couple of months later I needed to sterilized it again and I was in a hurry, so I used the microwave at 800W for 3 minutes and the rock "exploded" (it cracked in half due to the high temperature), so... be careful if you use the microwave!!
Hamsterita is offline   Reply With Quote