View Single Post
Old 03-08-2017, 01:13 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Bin Cage for a Syrian

I think your cage looks good and not too much at all, and yes it looks like a 12" Flying Saucer. I think I would take the hanging ladder out. I had one of those and decided it was dangerous. Rat sized sputniks are good if you hang them next to the shelf.

So - I also think more substrate would make a difference. Sort of fill the base. It doesn't have to work out more expensive as when it's deep you can just spot clean mainly, especially if she uses a litter tray. The bottom half tends to stay dry and you can do big cage cleans much less often.

Fitch is very popular on here - it's sold in bulk (paper substrate similar to Carefresh but less dusty) and that works out cheap, plus Hams seem to really like it.

So I think I would:

Take out the hanging ladder
Add a lot more substrate - fill the base - which might then mean moving the shelf up a bit higher and less open space above it.
Add a rat sputnik to hang next to the shelf and put some paper bedding in it. Our hamster used to love dozing in his sputnik but only if it had bedding in it.

That should make it feel less open from above in the Sputnik area.

It could be an idea to add a couple of small extra shelves as well. Corners can feel a bit open and they like to sit under something.

I had a couple of these lava ledges that just screw in. I used to put one in a corner over the shelf and our Hamster liked to sit under it.

I think though, if you had the Trixie wheel as well - maybe back left corner, and left the flying saucer where it is, that would also block off some of the open space and she may love having a wheel as well as a flying saucer.

Lava ledge

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kaytee-Was-...rds=lava+ledge

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nobby-Sputn...ds=rat+sputnik

I found our hammy wasn't interesting in toys basically - unless they had food stuck to them or unless they were round and he could curl up in them. Like the sputnik or like a round coconut hut I had.

The only thing is if you still end up moving her it's a bit of a waste spending money on a sputnik and lava ledge that you couldn't use in a tank style cage (well you could use the Sputnik upside down on the floor then I guess).

More substrate and a wheel might do it so maybe try that first

I noticed you said you adopted her. How old is she?
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote