View Single Post
Old 03-08-2017, 09:01 AM  
Trioxin
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Bin Cage for a Syrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
The main problem with bin cages for syrians is finding a bin big enough, most will have less floor space then the cage she's used to, I've only used RUB so I'm not sure what else may be big enough but the largest RUB has a floor space of 3834 sq cm while the alaska is 4032 sq cm but someone may know of a bigger more suitable bin.

The best wood for levels or toys is kiln dried pine.
If you need to waterproof wood use Plastikote water based enamel.

Mesh can be anything between 6mm & 13 mm. Smaller mesh makes chewing harder as they can't get their teeth into the gaps.

I would recommend at least one side panel as well as a meshed top for adequate ventilation.

PVA glue is fine for wood toys.

There's a guide to wheels here flying saucers aren't ideal as a main wheel as they do tend to run with a bit of a twist to the spine.

Sisal string is about the safest for hanging things, you can also use things like pear clips or book rings which are larger so don't trap little feet.

That is a cute adorable pic She's lovely!
Funnily enough we have 84 Litre RUB but it does seem just a wee bit smaller than the Alaska, but at this point unless we can somehow find a bigger bin this may be our resort if she becomes a serial bar chewer. I'd hate to think she'd hurt herself because of it. My Dad's certain he can add an extra level with wood and a bit of tinkering but I always like to see decent floor space.

I swear finding a decent storage box where I am seems like mining for gold, ah!

Thanks for the advice! I'm shocked about the saucer mainly because I was absolutely hounded into getting one on here back when I looked after Sherlock and Lupin! Never even considered things would change. Such a shame too, she lives on hers. I'll have to see about replacing it.

She's so sweet, bless her. A lot tamer than I thought she was! I think I was more scared of her, than her of me haha.
Trioxin is offline   Reply With Quote