View Single Post
Old 02-28-2017, 11:12 AM  
RubyDG
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Getting a new Hamster

I just feel like sharing so feel free to ignore my rambling

I was supposed to move house 10th February but that didn't happen, we pulled out at the last minute for various boring reasons I'll not go into. I had decided that I was going to wait until I moved house and settled before getting a new hamster, which I thought was pretty sensible . We are still on the lookout for another place but it may be some time before we do actually move. Therefore I have decided that there is no possible way I have enough patience to wait indefinitely so on Friday I am off to go pick up a new furry bundle.

I have some mixed feelings to be honest. I really really wanted a breeder hamster. Mostly because I want a healthy well tempered hamster that stands a good chance of living a long life. But I have had zero luck in finding any breeders here in Scotland, there were one or two listed breeders but after numerous attempts I have been unable to contact any of them so I've given up. I then decided that I would keep a lookout for an 'oops' litter, one where although the parents would be pet shop hamsters the babies would have been well handled and likely half tame already. No luck there either despite keeping an eye out for ages. I am dead set on another Syrian and it looks like most people in my area who do have hamsters have dwarfs. Then I decided to check rescues - there is only one local rescue centre and they have none, even the Pets at Home adoption section doesn't have any.

So my only option it seems is to buy a baby from my local Pets at Home. My local branch does not have the best reputation plus I am doubtful that they actually get their hamsters from what we would consider a reputable breeder. But I went and called them and they are getting a bunch of hamsters in on Thursday and they recommended that I go in on Friday. So that's the current plan. I am busy setting up my Detolf again and getting all my bits and pieces ready. Half of me thinks I should hold out but the sensible part of me thinks that I am unlikely to get a hamster any other way. I'm a little nervous and just hoping I can find the right little boy to bring home.