View Single Post
Old 02-21-2017, 06:47 PM  
Drago
The Hamtologist

Smile Chinese hamster!

About a month ago I created a thread expressing interest in looking into getting a hamster species other than Syrians. After much consideration and hearing the advice and opinions of those who answered and through lots of research, I've decided a chinesey is what I'm looking for! I've owned several Syrians throughout the years so this will be my first hamster of another species and I want to get everything right! I've started out with a 20 gallon long, but there's a dollar per gallon sale at a nearby petco so I wasn't sure whether or not I should start with a 20 or just go straight to a 40, what do you think would be best? Though I know each hamster is different and it will depend on the personality of the one I choose but do any of you owners/breeders out there notice your chinesey has a preference? Wheel size, I've read mixed things on this so I've bought an 8.5 inch wheel as well as a 6.5 inch. Which would be best for me to use? As for diet I'm in the US, but am willing to order Burgess dwarf if that's what's best for them as I've heard they're diabetes prone my Syrians are on hazel/Harry hamster so I assume this wouldn't be suitable for them? I'm also stuck between a male and a female, I know once again it's an individual's personality but do any of you have a preference? I also am curious as to whether there are any chinesey breeders in the United States? I've searched through all these older threads as well as the Internet, but I can't seem to find anything. If I can't, I will gladly rescue as 90% of my animals are rescues, but I figure it'd be nice to support a good genuine breeder once in a while! Overall any tips/suggestions will be highly appreciated, I'm very excited to get a Chinese hamster and want to make sure I'll be offering my little one the best life possible! Thank you all in advance
Drago is offline   Reply With Quote