View Single Post
Old 02-17-2017, 07:09 AM  
Hekomi
Strong Brew Hamstery

Default Re: 2017 comes in with a bang - Welcome L17s!

Quote:
Originally Posted by souffle View Post
They are beautiful Hekomi. Hope this litter runs smoothly and we soon see some little cuties running about. That's a lot of money for the surgery Whewww!!
Thanks Souffle! I'm really happy with the direction our hamsters are taking. I'm really getting a much better eye for type, and learning more than just head shapes, and also body shapes. I'm working on becoming judge trained, and am working with a lovely group of other ethical breeders in the area. We're meeting up in April to do some sharing of hamsters. I can't wait to expand my gene pool. One gene I'm really dying for is rex, however the rex North American hammies aren't great. We're shipping up some from California, who have much better health than the other ones around us.

Hah! Actually, we were rather surprised the surgery was less expensive than I expcted. We had emergency fees, plus the hospitalization and 24hr around the clock care in an incubator. OVC is the leading veterinary school in Canada, and arguably the most knowledgeable and experienced place to take hamsters. We had never been, so it was a very positive first experience. The vet was amazingly thorough, even going so far as to bring other departments into the swing of things to make sure any medication she was given was also safe for her pups. They became kind of like "icons" in the hospital, and a lot of the students and interns would come visit them. I suppose they don't often get teeny baby hamsters!

I'm glad it turned out okay. It was incredibly tense, and I was really proud of both my partner and my ability to get through it.

Hekomi is offline   Reply With Quote