View Single Post
Old 02-14-2017, 04:07 AM  
dimes
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Is bar climbing bad?

When I first got Cotton, I had him in a wire cage which was pretty tall because it accomodated 2 levels (which I had taken out at first). I thought he wouldn't be able to climb up because the bars were vertical instead of the typical horizontal types, but he somehow managed to do it at the corners of the cage! I was so worried because he dropped down once and I didn't think that was good for him, plus he was still new and I didn't think it was a good idea for me to keep handling him before I had even tamed him.

I've heard of hamsters who get concussions after repeated falling from heights. This may not be a problem if your cage isn't that tall, but if you'd still like to prevent anything of that sort happening, I'd recommend getting a bin cage or a tank. It'd be impossible for him to climb to any unsuitable height and to fall from there, so he'd be safe. Plus, bin cages and tanks tend to be a lot bigger than most of the wire cages you can get at pet stores, so he's much less likely to be bored too!
dimes is offline   Reply With Quote