View Single Post
Old 02-05-2017, 10:54 AM  
Fluffagrams

Default Re: Potential breeding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchet View Post
Hi everyone.

I am here to mention the possibility of breeding. Obviously I understand the risks and have done the appropriate and required research. Yet I am here for the final confirmation before the go-ahead. I would like to breed Syrians or Winter whites as I believe their temperaments to be preferable. (Although all hammies are lovely.) I would only breed with one pairing and they would be separated when not breeding (which is why Syrians may be better.) I have the space to accommodate the babies and have a good idea of where they would go if I didn't keep them. I love the variations in colour and coat of the syrians and find it fascinating so would like to 'experiment', as such, with that. Do you think this is a terrible idea? I currently have no hamsters as we have been very busy recently and I decided to put it off until a later date, such as now. I have had an abundance of experience in the past as I have had hamsters since I was five or six. Thank you in advance.
I'd avoid experimentation too much as there are some combinations of genes than can result in deformities in the pups. The two I can think of at the moment is the anopthalmic whites (caused by pairing two hamsters carrying the white bellied gene) and there's also a problem caused by the pairing of two satin coated hamsters together which can result in the pups that have either very thin or no fur. I don't know about Syrian or Winter White breeding myself as I breed Chinese so am not a lot of help but I'd advise asking as many questions as you can to other breeders who are concentrating on the colours that you wish to work with. They'll be able to give you insights and information that isn't always covered by other types of research. As you're planning to come to the show, it might be an idea to chat to some of the breeders there who can advise you on where to start.

I'd also like to recommend a book 'Hamsterlopeadia' if you don't already have it which was written by two experienced exhibitors. There's a section in there on breeding which might be worth a read too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchet View Post
I am planning on purchasing a pair from the Southern Hamster Club show on the 18th February. I have never been to a show before and am unsure of whether you can actually purchase the hammies there and if the entry is free. Do you have more info on this? Thank you
Hello, I've replied to your comment on the thread about the show but yes, you'll be able to buy hamsters at the show and it's free to come in and look around.
Fluffagrams is offline   Reply With Quote