View Single Post
Old 01-29-2017, 01:52 PM  
freyashamsters
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Possibly looking into some dwarfs

So I wouldn't call myself experienced, however I have owned two Robos for a while now and I've learned a few things about them & the different species of Dwarves.

Robos are small, fast (and adorable!). However, they also tend to be quite skittish and jumpy and therefore are much harder to tame than Syrians and many never become fully tame. However, as Robos are able to live together, I wouldn't worry a great deal about companionship if you can't handle them, as long as they are living with a sibling (note that siblings are a lot more compatible than newly introduced hams).

Russians (Winter Whites, Campbell's and Hybrids) are slightly larger than Robos, aren't quite as fast but are known to be much easier to handle. People tend to be more confident handling them than they are with smaller faster hams, and they also are rarely skittish, bitey or aggressive towards their owners.

Overall, my recommendation would be that

1. If you have enough time as well as patience, then i think that robos would be a great idea. As I said, I own two sisters myself and have them in a Duna Multi cage and although they don't seem too comfortable with human contact, it's lovely seeing them run around together and having fun.

2. If you're looking for a dwarfie that you will find relatively easy to tame, then I'd go for a Russian. Winter whites in particular are known to be very friendly.
Willow - 18:27 18th November 2016
freyashamsters is offline   Reply With Quote