View Single Post
Old 01-23-2017, 09:25 AM  
Drago
The Hamtologist

Default Re: Hamster plans for the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffagrams View Post
It's interesting, the size of Syrians is the one thing that would probably lead me to choose one of the dwarf species first.

I suppose it's a matter of what you're used to and I'd had Chinese for four and a half years before a Syrian came back into my life and I think that because I'd got used to handling the smaller species, I actually felt a bit awkward for a while handling a larger hamster.

My Chinese boys have always been lovely docile lads (I don't think you could get much more docile than James) and my current girls are such friendly little things. Admittedly I'd not allow a Chinese to free roam in a room because they can fit into such tiny gaps but I'm not sure that they'd be that keen on the idea of free roaming either.
I guess you're right with the size thing, I'm always so scared I would crush a smaller ham! Thinking back now, my close friend had a chinesey who was the sweetest and calmest little guy I've ever met, even calmer than any Syrian I'd ever seen! He would sit in your hand contently and allow you to pet him. If I ever do decide to bring another species into my home, I'd probably choose a Chinese!
Drago is offline   Reply With Quote