View Single Post
Old 01-20-2017, 09:33 AM  
Fluffagrams

Default Re: Do I need to change my hamster cage?

I would just like to echo what some of the others have said with the suitability depending on your individual hamster. I've had some hamsters who find settling in anything much bigger than a Mini Duna difficult and I've had hamsters of the same species that have needed a lot more space.

By watching their body language, you should be able to get some clues as to how your hamster feels about their environment. I've recently upgraded one of my Chinese as she became unhappy in her old cage and her behaviour started off as being a bit more hyperactive than normal and then became gradually worse with her becoming more destructive and frantic just before I moved her. On the other hand I had to downgrade one of my boys just over a year ago as he started to become very nervous in his cage, literally every sound or movement would send him looking for cover but yet outside of his cage, he was fine.

If your hamster is new I'd probably advise leaving them where they are for a couple of weeks before you change their cage as hamsters often need time to adjust and settle in before you really know what you're dealing with.
Fluffagrams is offline   Reply With Quote