View Single Post
Old 01-19-2017, 07:31 PM  
kelza
Hamster Pup

Default Re: What's your taming technique?

I usually take the first few days to week after the settle in period to get new hamsters use to climbing into an item (upside-down hideout or an empty tissue box) being carried/lifted short distances. This is always followed by a yummy treat! After a few days, I moved them to a dry tub or playpen to explore. I then start offering my hand towards the end of each play session. Once they are comfortable with my hand in the neutral zone I will start offering it in their cages. Of course I'm using the tissue trick from the start to help them get use to my scent.

I usually, but not always, start new hamsters in a smaller cage. This helps me to get to know their personality and to determine their individual needs. The smaller spaces seems to help the shy hamsters build more confidence too.

The hams I have started this way with have always had more confidence. It usually takes 2 to 3 weeks before I can handle them, but it is all done their pace. Some take less, and some more time. Even if they end up being a look-don't-touch friend, they at least end up not being cage aggressive or scared of everything.

Always Loved and Remembered - Buddy, Fizz-Gig, Darth Fluffy, Zippy, Edith, Hime, Millie, Ptolemy, Poppy, and Saga
kelza is offline   Reply With Quote