View Single Post
Old 01-18-2017, 04:54 PM  
chesca_27
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Beaten Up Dwarf Hamster @ College

Aww glad to hear he's ok.

I have had a few similar experiences with guinea pigs at my vet, but not Oreo, thankfully. I am their youngest volunteer (14) and am not allowed to touch the animals without supervision from a trained nurse or vet (apart from the nurse who brings her adorable kitten to work) so I have no say in the care. However, they once did a lump/abscess removal on the side of a piggy's face. They told the owner not to give him any hay until the wound healed over, despite me pointing out that hay should be 80% of a guinea pig's diet. That's a good few days without hay, and that's even worse after anaesthetic! I am absolutely powerless over the vets, although I know more about guinea pigs than they do!

If I say something, the head nurse lectures me about how I need to stop worrying about Oreo and I can't be a good vet if I care too much about animals. Last week's lecture was about me going on my phone (briefly when I had done most of my chores) to double check who was picking me up and at what time so I wouldn't be stranded! The first lecture was after they found out that I took Oreo to a better dental vet (best in the UK) despite them having numerous opportunities to treat him. They tried on him exactly what the better vet did! I then found out on the phone that I could take Triple Science for my GCSEs, which I was super happy about, so my conversation overran by a minute or two. This was after my hours of volunteering had finished and I was doing extra time. Most of the vets and nurses stand around on the phone or cuddling the animals than I do. And they at least get paid for it.

The other thing that will happen if I speak up, is I will be banned from the vets (probably) and will have to find volunteering elsewhere for my Duke of Edinburgh's Award. They did once tell me (when Oreo was critically ill) that they didn't want to see him for two weeks minimum. This was the point where I was terrified to come home from school in case Oreo had passed away .

Most of the vets and nurses are really nice though, especially the receptionist, and always ask me about Oreo. I mainly just dislike the head nurse as she has really upset me a few times .

Sorry for taking this off topic and ranting, I just need to get it out my system, because vets are supposed to care about the welfare of my pet and understand that I am knowledgable with small pets.

Oh the other thing they do. In consultation, they log onto The Guinea Pig Forum to check treatments and doses. I'm sorry, but I could do this for free and just ask for prescriptions. I understand if it's a really complex and rare condition, but for something as simple as a prescription for Metacam or treatment for bloat.