View Single Post
Old 01-17-2017, 02:12 PM  
Almi
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Safety of Materials

Amityville, I'm wondering why you think newspaper is a definite no. I read an article stating how poisonous and toxic ink and plastic can be, but then I read a study showing that using even a ridiculous amount of it directly applied to the skin had no effect on systematic health - only dryness/irritation at the spot where it was applied every day. Did you get a chance to read them?

My dream involves shredding whatever material I plan to use for substrate, wetting it, mixing it, and then baking it. Basically, how they make Carefresh. Which I am not willing to pay for, and therefore I tend to go for wood shavings. However, I feel like the shavings are just too dry and dusty; we need less dust and more humidity! Recycled paper pulp seems to be able to carry more moisture to me. Plus, if I could recycle things, it would be helpful for saving money and space.

I was thinking of mixing whatever I make with wood shavings. I think more humidity will help make the shavings less dusty. Or...what about adding a tiny amount of oil to wood shavings (and mixing it in)? Like coconut oil? I wonder if that would help make it less dry and dusty.

Lol, of course we will be burning things via bonfire in the summer! We do every year. We burned an old couch last summer. I have definitely noticed interesting things while burning things that had ink in them. Besides burning things, we do city recycling. When it comes to cardboard, the only type they don't want to collect are the waxed containers.

Thank you for the thoughts and the links, guys. I think I might have to research this a little more. I'll let you know if I come up with anything else. Still interested, if anyone has any comments on the links I posted.
Almi is offline   Reply With Quote