View Single Post
Old 01-14-2017, 05:58 PM  
squeakylittlepaws
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Rats or sugar gliders

I have quite a few videos on the rats I had, on my YouTube channel - squeakysmallpaws

Rats are awesome!

I've had 16 rats in total! They are the funniest things with huge personalities.

If you're in the UK, the best website is Ratrations. Rats shouldn't really be given pellets. It won't hurt them but they can eat pretty much anything humans can - they are a scavenger animal, so a wide and varied diet will keep them happiest. Ratrations do the best mixes - I used to feed mine number 11a. Their food is all human grade I.e no nasty pet food additives.

Best bit is that you can feed them your dinner scraps and they'll love you forever, haha. Pasta is a huge fav!

Only thing is male rats shouldn't be given citrus fruits. It won't kill them but it's not good for their kidneys.

They don't live all that long - similar to a hamster really. The oldest rat I had lived to be 3.5yrs, but I had a couple who died young at 18mths. I found the average age to be around 28 months.

They can suffer health issues, they aren't as hardy as hamsters, but in some ways they are easier to treat - every medicine you've ever been given your whole life - was first tested on rats/mice...

In terms of enjoyment though......You will bond with them so much. Once settled in and they trust you, they just love to be with their human!xx
squeakylittlepaws is offline   Reply With Quote