View Single Post
Old 01-10-2017, 03:25 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Almost 3 Yearold Syrian With Messy Bottom

It's a difficult one. I'd be inclined to agree that letting her live out her life in peace is good. On the other hand she could be in pain or suffering if she is bleeding. If you call the vet they may suggest what the cause might be and what the options would be, or may at least prescribe some pain medication. So I think that would be a good idea.

I don't know about the US but in the Uk, some vets offer a cremation service for pets. Other people wrap the hammy in tissue paper and bury them in a large plant pot and grown something on top. If you are wanting a memorial that is (eg ashes returned or the plant as a memorial). Otherwise you'd need to find out where you'd be allowed to bury a pet and wrap her in tissue paper, and pop her in a shoe box or something and take her there. I have heard of people putting a hammy in the freezer until they had time to find a suitable burial place, but personally I think they deserve a bit of a burial or cremation and handling with care after death as they were in life.

Another issue, if she may have an infection is you can't just bury them anywhere on public land.

How is she today. If she seems to be suffering and there are still signs of blood it may be kinder to carefully put her in a cosy pet carrier with lots of bedding and take her to the vets, where they may decide euthanasia is the best option, or may prescribe something.

Edit: Posted at the same time as Souffle
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote