View Single Post
Old 01-07-2017, 04:59 PM  
barley
Hamster Addict

Default Re: Looking for a breeder - where to start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago View Post
Have you tried checking in a local shelter/rescue group? Rescue hams can make just as good of pets as hams that are from breeders. In my opinion I would begin to look elsewhere. The breeder seems not to be too concerned with helping match a ham with a potential customer and that's bringing up some red flags. You say that you first contacted them in October and it's now January and you've yet to get a good answer or what it is you're asking for, and I personally don't feel that's a quality of a good, responsible breeder. They're not worth any more time or energy.
I would consider a rescue ham... and I know this sounds really awful, but given their such short little lives, I'd ideally prefer a baby that I could spend as long as possible with. There is a rescue not far from me at all though and I know they occasionally have small pets come in, so maybe I'll drop them an email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac_Dreams View Post
@barley breeders have long waiting lists, especially at this time of year because Hamsters do have trouble conceiving at this time of year because of the daylight hours which means a bit of a "back log" so to speak, in the waiting list. I would just wait a few more days and very politely email them asking if they were still happy that you are on their waiting list.
Oh absolutely, I do appreciate that. I don't mind waiting but just a bit stumped at lack of info or any rough idea when I could possibly expect a ham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkneon View Post
Barley, do you know if they have a long waiting list? It might be that they are contacting the people on the top of the list first (like first come first served maybe?) It may be worth contacting a couple more of there are any others local to you, or if you don't mind travelling a little bit then look at other breeders - Tuftyfluffs is in Borehamwood (I think!) but I'm not sure if that is too far from you? Depends where in Essex you are. You could try contacting her on Facebook, though she may well have a long list too. Also, if there are any shows coming up that you can get to then most of the time breeders have babies for sale there too!
To be honest I have no idea how long their waiting list is, the lack of info/updates is quite frustrating. I absolutely appreciate they're busy people with lives of their own etc, and may have lots of people like me contacting them, but just didn't want to be forgotten about as such!

Borehamwood is about 1.5 hrs from me but I wouldn't mind traveling that distance for a good breeder. Where would I find out about hamster shows?