Thread: Cage Cleaning
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2017, 02:18 PM  
AmityvilleHams
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Cage Cleaning

I completely understand,having been shunned many times in so many places.I feel like in a lot of places and cultures you end up getting elitists of sorts who may have good intentions but are just so negative This isn't restricted to hamster communities though,you find it in alternative subcultures and schools,but it's honestly everywhere which is awful.

I find that the best solution is finding a balance between wandering and natural behaviors but also providing a large and enriching habitat.This is more difficult for Syrians than anything,but just about anyone could do so for the smaller species.

I've looked into cage size a lot,including German studies.I don't think I've heard of a dwarf study though,so what I did instead was to turn 1,550(the German minimum of square inches)into an equation.Essentially,1,550 divided by 6 and then make fractions using sixths and the length of the hamster in question and that becomes the amount of floor space which should be appropriate.Oddly enough,it ends up being around or slightly above minimums I've seen from Germany for Russian dwarf hamsters(100 cm x 50 cm)and the space robos and Chinese hamsters is often agreed upon(around 70 cm x 40 cm).
AmityvilleHams is offline   Reply With Quote