View Single Post
Old 01-04-2017, 04:47 PM  
Jasperowner
Newborn Pup

Default New owner.. Feeling anxious!

Hi all.
I purchased my first hamster (a Syrian) yesterday at the ripe old age of 37. It's a pet for my daughter who has been wanting one for a couple of years.

We're excited to have Jasper home and had done lots of reading before and had the cage all ready etc.

I have to say though I'm feeling as anxious as when I came home from hospital with my newborn daughter over six years ago.

Jasper survived the short car journey ok and when introduced to his cage sniffed around a bit before basically ensconcing himself in one of the interconnecting tubes where he has pretty much stayed since for the last 36 hours.

I know he has been out and and about because he's created quite a nice nest for himself in there and emptied his food bowl (lower down).

The problem is he seems to be doing everything in that tube...sleeping, hoarding, eating and toileting and i can see droppings intermixed with his food.

I realise it's very early days and that he's probably just found the place he feels most secure (it is ventilated the tube) but I'm beginning to feel like I need to clear out his mess and stale food but can see how I'm going to do that with him pretty much constantly in the tube... Which I can't reach into. I could dismantle it at one end (he's right down the other) but I reckon this is going to majorly stress him out if he's in the tube.

I am worried for several reasons: one: I can't get close enough to see if he's still healthy or started to display any signs of WT or any other illness, two: that if I don't clear away his faeces and urine stained bedding he'll become unwell, three: that he may not be getting enough liquid as he doesn't seem to have drunk anything from the bottle (though some apple I put in the food bowl has gone) and lastly, not sure how to start to tame him at all with him all tucked away.

Sorry for such a rant as an introductory post but I'm just such a novice and clearly all the reading I did beforehand didn't prepare me as well as I thought it would.

Btw, I read another thread about suitable cages for youngish
Syrians: he's 8-10 weeks apparently but seems huge. We have the Laura Syrian hamster cage from pets at home.
Should he be in a smaller one for ease of access?

Any thoughts etc anyone's got, I'd be so grateful to hear from some seasoned pros.

Thanks.
Jasperowner is offline   Reply With Quote