View Single Post
Old 12-29-2016, 07:11 AM  
Crayolalaura
Hamster Pup

Default Pets At Home- medium plastic hamster home

Literally only had this for a day but I already have opinions on it LOL

So quick background from me- this was a spur of the moment choice. I love PAH for their selection of toys and food but do not like their hamster cage choices never have done.
Anyway my beautiful Syrian passed away after a suspected stroke at 2.5 years on December 18th and I wasn't planning on getting any more for a while but I decided my next eventually would be a/or a pair of Russian dwar(ves)f
Yesterday I spotted this beautiful little Russian dwarf female for adoption, 5 months old and she was easily handled and very timid. I have the IMac Fantasy cages for Syrians but I did not believe this would be at all suitable for a dwarf hamster so I knew I'd have to chose a new cage there and then and no other pet stores near by so I went with with this as the lesser of other evils LOL

They were saying to me this cage is good for a pair- I'm not so sure about that but I figured it'd be good for a single dwarfie
I like the cage itself- not the biggest but it's good enough (and I like to set up separate activity bin cages)
I like that the see through plastic half comes off easily and I like to sit my hand near her and let her get used to me and stroke her which is easier to do than just putting your hand through a cage door (in my experience anyway)
I like that the bottom blue half is deep enough for a good amount of bedding for burrowing
These Pros are what is NOT making me take the cage back

But the cons:
Ok BIGGEST con is that the lid doesn't seem to fit on properly. I need to have a proper sit down and put hammy somewhere else so I can see where the issue lies but it doesnt on the edge of the blue bottom-half right. There is a gap-not big enough to escape or even get stuck but there shouldn't be this gap

There is a wire cage top door on top of the lid which is a pain to open and not at all quiet. I will only use this to hang stuff off I think.

The rest of the cons are with the accessories which aren't so bad as easily replaced- wheel squeaks, bottle leaks, I think the reason why the lid won't close is because of the white platform/hideaway is in the way around the edges. That platform is too slippy and tbg I plan on taking it all out and putting wooden house or bridge or something there for her and getting a bottle holder

So basically scrap the accessories and so long as I figure out what's going on with this lid I'd recommend this for a single dwarf but also recommend a separate activity bin cage just for a little break from the area as it's not huge once you start filling it with toys and hideaways

Don't get this for a Syrian and I'm not wholly convinced it's ok for pairs but maybe I'm wrong on that

Anyone else had this cage? What were your thoughts?
Lots of the same complaints as mine on the reviews on the website

Hopefully the attached pictures work- no this is obviously not my permanent set up for her LOL I need to clean and steam old toys and get new ones which I didn't have time to do yesterday so please ignore how pathetic her set up is right now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0002.JPG (1.28 MB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0003.JPG (1.20 MB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0004.JPG (697.3 KB, 24 views)
Crayolalaura is offline   Reply With Quote