View Single Post
Old 12-17-2016, 07:09 AM  
Jessicad
Newborn Pup

Default Please Help! New Hamster!

Hello

I am really hoping someone may be able to help me.

I used to have a Syrian Hamster about 3/4 years ago, he was so tame and loving so I decided on Wednesday to get another one.

I am having some real issues. When I went to the shop they told me she was quite a shy one, but due to my previous history I didn't see it as a problem.

I have now had the Hamster for 4 days and she is so shy, she is startled at any noise, I tried to get her out and she was squeaking very loudly and clearly distressed. I left her alone but no matter how much time I take to it near the cage she is very scared.

I called the shop and they said to change the cage. I currently have a three level one with tubes and the lot. The problem is I cannot get her out of it without the whole thing falling apart. There is no access to her what so ever. So I have bought a very basic cage. The question is should I move her? I know they need their space and get used to the cage but I can't see how it is going to work as she won't go near me. With the basic cage I am hoping she gets used to us being around then over time move her back to the bigger cage.

Any help and advise would be appreciated. I just want to do what is best for her but no idea how I am going to be able to handle her to clean the cage or anything.

Thank you
Jessicad is offline   Reply With Quote