View Single Post
Old 12-17-2016, 02:18 AM  
Hamsterita
La loca de los hamsters

Default How to apply Plastikote and other related questions

Hi!

I bought Plastikote to paint a wooden shelve that I'm going to use on my hamster tank as a platform.

I was wondering, how to apply it? Only one coat? Two coats?

He only pees on his potty, but I want to put food and the water bottle (maybe I'll try water bowl) over it, so I want to be sure that it's water protected. He's not a chewer.

How many days I wait til I put it on the tank? It says tha's dry on 25 min, but I suppose that it's better to wait a little bit longer.

And finally. For me it was ridiculously expensive. I have to import it, and it cost me 13 € for a 59ml bottle. I didn't care, because I wanted something that I know for sure that It's hamster safe, but then I realized that it just looks like regular water based enamel. Actually, there's no sing of pet safe advert anywhere. This is going to last me ages, because I've seen that a little bit goes a long way, but I was thinking, in some countries where isn't plastikote available, could we use another water based enamel, or pet safe enamel instead?

For example, for a little bit less I could have buy a water based enamel for terrariums, but I would have get about 500ml

And finally, If you're searching for substitutes don't try water based glue/elmers glue/cola blanca. It's ham safe, but I doesn't work for this. I thought that I could give it a try as I couldn't find the famous "Plastikote", and I painted a corner to look how it worked, but the moment the water touches the wood, the glue soaks the surface.

Last edited by Hamsterita; 12-17-2016 at 02:51 AM.
Hamsterita is offline   Reply With Quote