View Single Post
Old 12-13-2016, 01:13 AM  
Bethany77
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Does anyone have the Barney cage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
The behaviour you're seeing now is Vanilla asserting his dominance over Coco, the problem with a larger cage for a pair is it provides more space to become territorial over so this behaviour could escalate into actual fighting & you will need to keep a close eye on that & make sure there are no enclosed areas like houses with only one entrance where Vanilla could trap Coco if a fight broke out.
Russian hams do like to bar climb but are hopeless at climbing down once they get up & very prone to falls but with a pair you can't really put any levels or ledges in to prevent this as again it may encourage them to become more territorial & fight.
I'm not sure what to suggest tbh, it is a great cage but maybe not the best choice for a pair.
Sorry if that sounds a bit negative but the general consensus among those who have succeeded in keeping pairs together seems to be that less space, no levels & a fairly basic layout works best.
Oh I thought having a bigger cage would help them, can I put 6 inches of bedding so if they fall it wouldn't hurt so much? They have been getting along better since moving, Vanilla hasn't done the dominance thing since they have been in there and I looked in there this morning and they were sleeping together when they normally sleep in separate parts of the cage.
Bethany77 is offline   Reply With Quote