View Single Post
Old 12-12-2016, 03:14 PM  
Bethany77
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Does anyone have the Barney cage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
Aah - the substrate thing The thing is - the more substrate you put in, the less you use, I find. Because most of it stays dry and you can just spot clean. When you only have 3" of substrate you end up having to chuck the lot usually and end up using more. Have added a link to Erin's Hamsters 8 cage cleaning tips video - it's very good - some excellent tips on substrate and cleaning. It made my life a lot easier.

The only other thing is - the Barney is quite a tall cage - about 43cm high internally. 3" of substrate would leave quite a height to fall from and not give much cushioning when they land. I think when you've seen Erin's video you'll be able to make your substrate last longer and be able to use more of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jVnEjrXbww
Thanks for linking the video - I'll watch it now :P
Yeah I do normally have to chuck out all of the bedding I put in every 2 weeks as it gets too smelly which I think is a waste but my dad still doesn't think hamsters need much bedding and he won't believe me when I say they do. I was a bit worried when I first looked at the cage because it looked very high up but the dwarfs haven't tried bar climbing yet. I'll try to get some hanging toys and put in some more bedding soon because I would hate for them to hurt themselves
Bethany77 is offline   Reply With Quote