View Single Post
Old 12-09-2016, 05:13 AM  
spacebyte
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Detolf cage questions

I used Erins tutorial to make the lids for Lunas cage - I would definitely measure your own detolf before making the lids - the measurements on erins videos were quite a bit off on mine. No idea how, but I guess that comes with the building it yourself thing. Even then, once we had finished making the lids they were a wee bit too long to fit on - loosening the screws on either end to 'widen' the cage a cm worked to fit it on though.

I would also recommend calling the DIY shop before going in to have things cut- the local B&Q advertised wood cutting, but when we got there we were told it was only for large pieces of 'sheet' wood, not the kind of small planks we were looking for - luckily my boyfriend had a saw!

Even with the lids on the bars, the 29cm Karlie wheel fits in fine on its original stand- when its placed directly on the glass. It doesn't hit off the lid either, there's maybe just over a cm gap.

I agree with Serendipity that around half a 10kg bag of fitch fills it, but it does last a long time if you use the cage cleaning technique erin also has in her videos (removing a portion of old substrate and 'mixing in' new substrate with old. as well as spot cleaning). I get my fitch directly from fitch, it's much cheaper than amazon, with free delivery that is usually within 48 hours - probably the best option if you're UK based.

Your profile says you're from Finland, so I'd probably go to zooplus- they don't do fitch but they do a lot of hemp bedding, which I think it's pretty safe (similar to auboise) and even the carefresh their tends to be cheaper than the pet shop? 30 liters of carefresh is only 2.2kg, and I know it's compressed and things, but you're still going to need at least two bags if not more to fill the detolf. It's expensive stuff!
spacebyte is offline   Reply With Quote