View Single Post
Old 12-05-2016, 08:14 AM  
Fluffagrams

Default Re: I have a pregnant hamster what do I do with the babies

I believe that the general rule for rehoming at hamster shows states that the member must have shown at least once in an NHC affiliated show, so that's something to be aware of if you'd be considering that as an option.

A lot of the experienced breeders will have waiting lists which is usually their first point of call for rehoming pups but without that option you'll probably be looking to rehome them through local channels such as posting notices on boards in shops, via local newspapers and via websites such as gumtree.

If she's pregnant now, the babies won't be ready to go to their new homes at Christmas anyway as they won't be fully weaned until they're four weeks old and most breeders won't rehome until the pups are about six weeks old. Once the pups eyes are open you can begin handling them to help them get used to human contact and the key here is to make this time a positive experience so keep the sessions fairly short and gentle as what seems like a couple of minutes to us can seem like a long time to a lively pup who just wants to snuggle back up with mum. I advise doing the early handling sessions over a storage bin or bucket as young pups can be like minature bars of soap and can wriggle out of your hands very easily!

Personally I'd be wary of ruling out people based on cage size alone and the reason I say this is because young pups can struggle after separation from their siblings and it's easier for them to adjust in a smaller space than a larger one. You could always advise them if the cages are on the smaller size that as they grow they may need upgrading to a larger cage and perhaps point them in the direction of some cages you recommend.
Fluffagrams is offline   Reply With Quote