View Single Post
Old 12-04-2016, 05:50 PM  
chesca_27
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: I have a pregnant hamster what do I do with the babies

Could you possibly upload a picture, so we can confirm she is pregnant? There are lots of experienced breeders here on the forum, who I'm sure will be able to best advise you.

What species is your hamster? When did you get her? Do you know if the father is likely to be related?

Try advertising the hamster babies but make sure you screen all who are potentially interested. Provide them with a care sheet and make sure they are able to offer a big enough cage (ideally 80cm by 50cm), a good quality diet (Harry/Hazel Hamster, Burgess dwarf food etc) and just the other essentials.

Perhaps you could write down all the things you would like the owner to be able to provide into the form of a care sheet and we can proof read it for you and add any other suggestions before you send it to any interested owners. Someone on the forum might be able to take a pup. It's not unusual for hams to be rehomed to others on the forum, if they've had a litter or can no longer care for their hamster).

Good luck with her litter. I hope everything goes well for you .

EDIT: If you live in the UK, you could take them to a hamster show and have them on the sales table. Even joining the NHC (National Hamster Council) may give you some helpful contacts.

There are other breeders on here, who often rescue pregnant hamsters and rehome the pups, who would probably be able to best advise you or spread the word, if they are local.