Thread: Hamster noises
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2016, 03:31 PM  
Jeir
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Hamster noises

In my experience, the noises they make can be summed up thus:
Screeching = terrified/upset. In my mind, it sounds like they're crying. This is probably the worst noise I've heard a hamster make.
Chattering = annoyed. Can be taken as a warning, can be taken as the hammy just being a bit grumpy.
Popping/clicking = happy and content. Often made when eating, cleaning, doing something interesting, and/or cuddling. They can even be taught to do this (my Robo started doing it about 6 months after I got her, when she was a year old).
Squeaking (quiet, short, repeated; hamster doesn't otherwise seem agitated) = Not sure. Just being talkative, perhaps.
Squeaking (loudish, short, single - more like a 'typical' squeak) = surprised/shocked or maybe injured suddenly.
Squeaking when asleep = nightmares? I tend to check on mine to see if they're okay if I hear this.
Huff = usually singular sharp exhalation, combined with hamster relaxing completely. Hamster is sleepy and just wants to cuddle, or go to bed.
Hiccups = adorable. Usually goes away after a while. They always look so confused when it happens. Other forums suggest it could simply be from them eating too quickly.
Sneezing = also adorable. Probably too much dust around.
Jeir is offline   Reply With Quote