View Single Post
Old 11-18-2016, 05:08 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Hamster sitting. Would you change anything?

Hmm difficult one. Some people would appreciate it, others would be offended. Did she leave any instructions about what not to do, or do specifically? If not then I think some changes would be fine and easily changed again if need be. Whereas others might be a bit too far. I'm not sure about the cage change - that's a big thing for a hammy - and presumably the gerbil cage is a bit bigger than the mini duna? I would change the wheel, swap the fluffy bedding for paper and get some Harry Hamster (mixing it in gradually during the first week), plus give him some supplements each day. A small piece of veg every 2 or 3 days - extras like nuts, pumpkin seeds, a bit of cheese, scrambled egg etc and scatter feed some of the extras. So improve his nutrition and safety, basically. Would an 8" wheel fit in the gerbil cage? I think he would need a wheel in the cage and an 8" wouldn't fit in a mini duna.

How big is the gerbil cage? I think this colleague of your Mum's, if you explain the dangers of fluffy bedding to her, and spinal arching in hamsters, will be appreciative of the minor changes. And then drop in the fact that hamsters need a high protein mix like Harry Hamster to stay healthy and avoid vet bills, plus it has monkey nuts in and is quite cheap bought in bulk. And he seems to enjoy fresh veg, and pumpkin seeds.

Go for it. She can always change the wheel and bedding back again, but I don't think anyone would once they know toilet paper is better! That would mean you getting an 8" wheel though. The ball on the stand would be ok for out of cage but he'd need a decent wheel in the cage. You can get an 8" Trixie wheel from Amazon for £5.99.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trixie-Exer...t%2Bwheel&th=1

Would the 11" Trixie wheel fit in the cage? Even if he's small he'd probably run really well in that if he's active and that's only a few pounds more.

I should do it - add a few toys - toilet roll toys maybe and a bendy bridge or something and the odd chew and plenty of substrate and when the owner sees the difference I am sure she will like it. Shame if you have to pay for things - but I think I would too!
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote