View Single Post
Old 10-09-2016, 08:51 PM  
bogart
Newborn Pup

Default Hairless Hamster: Tips and Advice?

Hi Lovelies,

We got a new hamster over the weekend! I was at the pet store getting Stan some new toys (he's doing wonderful) and generally looking around. I stopped to look at the small animals and there was this little hairless Syrian in one of the tanks.

He looked miserable and was sleeping on a scratchy bed of wood bedding. Of course, he stole my heart and I bought him without even asking the partner if it be cool. He forgave me after seeing the little bugger. We named him Rufus.

We got him a nice cage that was on clearance and it should give him plenty of space. Just gotta get him a Wodent wheel next pay. He's using Stan the man's old wheel which is super squeaky. Which leads me to my questions:

1) Anyone have experience with hairless hamsters? Anything specific we'd need to know.

2) I know he needs more protein than regular hamsters. Stan gets a diet of Oxbow with a healthy mix of veggies and sunflower seeds. I've started Rufus on a similar mix. I read a suggestion of supplementing with cat food. Our kitten eats Blue Buffalo dry kitten food. Good idea to mix in? Or is there a better way to get him easy protein?

3) His bedding is currently just Carefresh. Do you think it would be okay to mix in the wood chips at the bottom like we do in Stan's or would that be too rough on his skin?

4) Got him a couple of hammocks but I'm going to make him a few more things to burrow into since winter in PA is not pleasant. Any ideas for keeping his cage warm? It's a wire cage with plastic bottom.

Thanks for sticking with me to the bottom here! Sorry it's so long.