View Single Post
Old 10-02-2016, 07:21 PM  
climber008
Adult Hamster

Default Hamster Hair Loss

Hi everyone!

I am slightly concerned about my little Kornelia, as I have noticed that she has been losing some to a lot of her hair near her scent gland/hind-quarters. While I know it is typical for hamsters to have a "bald patch" in the scent gland area, Kornelia's hair loss was never this dramatic before.

It seems like lately she has been losing even more hair than normal,despite my every effort to keep the room under 78 degrees. I have even found tiny tufts of fur scattered about her cage. And, the hair only seems to being largely missing from her right side.

Even though Kornelia is getting on in age (She was born January 27, 2015.), I didn't think hair loss from age would factor in so quickly. How old is considered old for a hamster? Specifically one that has given birth to a few litters of pups?

Is there anything I can do to prevent/reverse this hair loss? I have been giving her a well balanced diet of many different seeds, mixes, pellets (lab blocks), as well as the occasional fresh veggie or other hamster-safe human food.

I am just really concerned for my little baby, and I would really appreciate any advice and help! It also worries me because she is scratching in that area. I don't see any signs of any mites or anything like that, so I have ruled that possibility out as I don't won't to put her through stressful procedures.